If you're a car owner who likes taking a lot of detours, you are well acquainted with the fear of being stranded in the middle of nowhere with a dead battery. Sure, there are a lot of good batteries out there and they're all advertised to last you several years, but in reality, many of them tend to fall short in terms of longevity. But this is one thing that you will never hear Optima battery owners complain about. Optima is a trusted brand developed by Wisconsin-based automotive parts manufacturers Johnson Controls that has been in existence for a long time. Their batteries are manufactured in their own factories to be able to live up to the high standards that the brand has set for itself.
Optima car batteries have three major variations, each most easily identified by the top colouring. In this review, we will focus on the Optima 34/78 Red Top Starting Battery. This unit is for starting only and not meant for powering other electronic functions inside your car. But as a starting battery, this is as close to the best that you can get. The first thing that you will notice about the Optima 8004-003 34/78 Red Top Starting Battery is its unique shape. As opposed to the straight-edged rectangular shape that you will see on most car batteries, the Optima car batteries sport a curvy six-pack design.
- This is owing to the special SPIRALCELL TECHNOLOGY that uses 6 spiral-shaped cells to lend higher vibration resistance. This results in minimum degradation over time and increased life span compared to traditional car batteries.
The Optima Red Top Batteries are further subdivided into different categories based on the specification for each. Among these the Optima 8004-003 34/78 Red Top Starting Battery is one of the most widely used car battery in the US, and it has left a lot of satisfied customers in its wake.
- The first thing that you need to keep in mind about the Optima 8004-003 34/78 is that it is a starting only application and not for deep cycle applications. It is great for off-road uses. This particular unit can be used for trucks, SUVs, jeeps and other cars. It is a stable AGM battery which is one of the best starting batteries that is capable of delivering a reliable start-up every time you use it, in spite of weather or any other adverse conditions. It can belt out a lot of power which is why it can be used in the most powerful automobiles.
The AGM stands for Absorbent Glass Mat, a technology that incorporates ultra-thin fibreglass mats which hold the electrolyte tightly. This makes the batteries long lasting and spill proof.
The Optima 8004-003 34/78 Red Top Starting Battery is pretty easy to set up. If you order it from a reliable source, the battery will come fully charged so that your set up is hassle free.
- The battery is equipped with a lot of harnesses on its exterior, so if you buy the right fit, you should be able to fit it well. The battery is also completely spill-proof, so you do not need to worry about safety issues. Once you do install it, you should be careful about discharge.
If you're not going to use your vehicle for a long time, we suggest you disconnect the battery and keep it somewhere safe for later use. Having said that, the Optima 8004-003 34/78 Red Top Starting Battery will hold up better in such cases compared to a lot of other car batteries. Another USP of this car battery is that it can be fully charged much faster than several other models. These are why it has made its place in our list of the best car batteries of this year.
Optima 8004-003 34/78 Red Top Starting Battery Specifications
- Weight: 38.8 lb
- C20 Capacity: 50 Ah
- Post Type: Dual SAE/GM
- CCA: 800 Amp (1000 cranking Amps)
- Reserve Capacity: 100 minutes
- Voltage: 12 Volts
- Width: 6.94 inches
- Length: 10.06 inches
- Height: 7.88 inches
The Optima 8004-003 34/78 Red Top Starting Battery is ideal for users who live in extreme weather conditions. With this battery, you will not have to worry about being stranded in the middle of the road not being able to start your vehicle. The reliability of the Optima 34/78 also makes it a great secondary car battery. Our suggestion before you buy it is to check up on the Warranty policy.
Other Options from the house of Optima
Like we said, Optima has a lot of options to choose from. If you're not looking for a starter only battery, you can consider these other heavy duty models from the same company. Rest assured knowing that all of them will be long lasting, spill-proof, and provide great value for money.
The yellow top models from Optima are deep cycle units made for heavy duty vehicles that demand higher electrical workloads, or for those with multiple electronic accessories installed into them. This model holds a CCA of 900 Amp with a reserve power capacity of 120 minutes and a slower self-discharge rate than most of the other models on the market.
The Blue Top models from Optima are for marine use. They are extremely efficient dual purpose batteries that are meant for with exceptional running time and more recharges than you’d get out of a traditional battery. This particular unit has a CCA of 900 Amp and a reserve power capacity of 155 minutes.